How to apply
Step 1 - IMGs required to submit their primary qualification (final medical diploma) in medicine and surgery for verification, must ensure it was awarded by a training institution recognised by the AMC.
Step 2 – Create EPIC account – nominate the AMC to receive verification status updates to update your AMC records accordingly. Your EPIC ID will be confirmed in 2-3 working days.
Step 3 – Establish AMC Portfolio for processing by AMC - you require an EPIC ID to be able to complete the portfolio application. Your AMC candidate number will be confirmed by email within 3-5 working days.
Step 4 – Upload qualification/s and identification documentation to your EPIC account for processing by ECFMG if not already done as part of Step 2.
- For the Standard Pathway (AMC examinations) and/ Competent Authority pathways, submit your final medical diploma for verification.
- For specialist assessment purposes, your final medical diploma and postgraduate qualification/s must be submitted.
Enquire with the respective Australian specialist medical college which postgraduate qualification/s require verification).
Step 5 – Proceed with the pathway you are eligible for.
Step 6 – Qualification verified – apply via your EPIC account for ECFMG to provide a copy of the EPIC report to AMC to update your verification status on the AMC qualifications portal.
Important information about your portfolio and the verification of your qualifications:
- Your qualification examination and training must be COMPLETED for it to be added to your AMC Account.
- The following types are not eligible to be added to your AMC Account: Medical registrations/license to practice, PhDs, research, internship/housemanship/foundation documents, partially completed training/qualifications, scientific (for e.g. Bachelor of Science) or short courses.
- If you added any of the above to your AMC portfolio, it will not appear on your AMC Account.
- All eligible/relevant qualifications submitted to your EPIC Account must also be added to your AMC portfolio to enable the AMC to update the verification statuses.
- If you notice the words "Await EPIC status confirmation", it means the AMC do not have the correct details of the institution available. This will be added once the EPIC status update has been received and appear on your AMC Account.
- For confirmation on which postgraduate qualification(s) required to be submitted for EPIC verification, please contact the relevant Australian specialist medical college for assistance before adding postgraduate qualification(s) to your EPIC Account, or the AMC portfolio. All the colleges are listed on the AHPRA website.
- Nominate the AMC on your EPIC account to receive the Outsource notifications. Once your qualification has been verified, you are required to apply via your EPIC account for ECFMG to send a copy of your report to the AMC to update your AMC records. The AMC cannot update your verification status without receiving the EPIC report.
- If you have enquiries about the documentation requirements as part of your EPIC account application, please enquire with ECFMG directly for assistance.
- For primary qualifications requirements, only submit either your final medical diploma, or your transcript, or your alternate graduate certificate. Please do not submit all options for EPIC verification as the AMC can only record one - the final medical diploma is the preferred option. If the document has been accepted by ECFMG for EPIC verification purposes, be assured the AMC will accept it to upload to your AMC Account.
Depending on your pathway for medical registration by the Medical Board of Australia, not all AMC candidates are required to proceed with the AMC examinations (contact the Medical Board of Australia to confirm if you are required to proceed with the AMC examinations process). You will not be eligible to schedule for the AMC examinations without an 'Outsourced' or 'Verified' verification status of your primary qualification (final medical diploma).
You should only nominate the relevant specialist medical college ONCE - although it does not show the nomination on your AMC Account, the AMC will link the college as part of the assessment process. The nominate college will have access to your verification images, verification statuses and able to upload college outcome reports on the AMC qualification's portal, for registration purposes. ONLY NOMINATE THE RELEVANT SPECIALIST COLLEGE THAT YOU ARE APPLYING FOR ASSESSMENT THROUGH.
- If eligible for the Standard Pathway, you are required to proceed with the AMC examinations process by selecting the “AMC examinations” option on your AMC account. Once you have passed both AMC examinations, you will be issued with an AMC certificate to submit to the Medical Board of Australia for general registration purposes.
- If eligible for the Competent Authority pathway, you are required to submit a Competent Authority pathway application directly to the Medical Board of Australia.
- If eligible for the Specialist pathway, you are required to submit your Specialist application directly to the respective specialist medical college for assessment. All the colleges are listed on the Medical Board of Australia website.
- If eligible for short-term training with a specialist medical college, you are required to apply directly to the respective specialist medical college for a training position by using the form AAMC-30 Application for assessment by a medical college.
Frequently asked questionsClick here.
You are only required to establish an AMC portfolio if:
Option 1: You have applied to the AMC previously, and an AMC candidate number was issued but NO qualification(s) has been previously EICS verified through the AMC.
Option 2: You have applied to the AMC previously, and an AMC candidate number was issued. You have submitted qualification(s) previously for EICS verification through the AMC. However, you have to add further qualification(s) for EPIC verification as required by either the Medical Board of Australia (AHPRA) and/or an Australian Specialist Medical College.
Option 3: You have not submitted a paper application prior to 1 October 2015 to the AMC previously, and have not been issued with an AMC candidate number.
Option 4: You have not completed your AMC online application (Form P1) prior to 1 October 2015, and have not been issued with an AMC candidate number.
Important: If you are unsure if you should establish an AMC portfolio, please contact the AMC for assistance.
You are not required to establish an AMC portfolio if:
If you had an AMC online account prior to 1 October 2015, you are required to create a new AMC online account.
If you never created an AMC online account previously, and not required to add any further qualification(s) for EPIC verification, you must create an AMC online account to use the below features:
Add your AMC candidate number
If you have applied to the AMC previously and an AMC candidate number was issued, it is important to add your AMC candidate number to your AMC online account in order for the system to determine your application/examination statuses. You are required to add both your AMC candidate number and your date of birth.
Proceed with AMC examinations
Once you are assigned an AMC candidate number, you may proceed with the AMC examinations process. Please contact the Medical Board of Austrlia (AHPRA) to clarify if you are required to complete the AMC examinations process (AMC certificate) for registration purposes.
- View a summary of qualification(s) submitted for verification through ECFMG (EPIC and/or EICS)
Add more medical qualification(s) to my AMC portfolio
If you are required by either the Medical Board of Australia (AHPRA), and/or an Australian Specialist Medical College to submit further qualification(s) for EPIC verification, a fee is payable for each qualification added to your AMC portfolio. Do NOT add qualification(s) already verified via the EICS process through the AMC, or already added to your AMC portfolio. Please contact the College and/or AHPRA to confirm which qualification(s) are required to be verified for their assessment/registration purposes.
It is important to note that all verifications are listed on the AMC’s qualifications, accessed by the Medical Board of Australia (AHPRA) for registration purposes, and the Australian Specialist Medical Colleges for assessment purposes.
If you have a final medical diploma (primary qualification), you are not required to submit the graduate certificate (alternate graduation document) and/or the transcript for verification as well. Research / PhD / licensure and internship / housemanship / foundation / PLAB / LMCC / scientific will not be uploaded to your AMC qualifications portal.
Nominate an Australian Specialist Medical College
Only nominate the College you will submit an application for Specialist assessment. This will allow the College to view all qualification(s) you have submitted for verification and to upload your specialist asessment outcome(s), used by the Medical Board of Australia (AHPRA) for registration purposes.
Edit my personal details
If you require to update your address, contact number, email, photo or signature.
Nominate someone to communicate on my behalf
If you prefer to nominate someone to make enquiries on your AMC records on your behalf.